Sunday, March 27, 2011

Tough Day

It has been a trying day today on Anchor Management.

I don't mean to bitch but some days just aren't as good as others.

I sailed through the night last night, my plan was to get to Mayaguana
in the Bahamas, anchor, sleep for 6 hours or so and then head over to
the Turks & Caicos. I think I have good weather until Wednesday night
or Thursday and this would allow me to get down to the Domincian Republic.

When I arrived at Mayaguana this morning I snuggled up to the place I
planed on anchoring, I was in a bit over 20 feet of water. The bottom
looked like sand and grass. I had the wind on my nose and slow rollers
coming in from behind me that were breaking about 200-300 feet away.


Since I am by myself I usually drop the anchor until it hits bottom,
leave the flywheel open so that chain will free flow out. I then run to
the back of the boat to put the boat in reverse a bit so that chain will
come out. Since I could see and here the breakers I gave it a bit more
reverse than normal. As I ran back to the front of the boat I noticed
the flywheel tightening up as chain went out. In not time flat the
flywheel stopped spinning, the chain tightened up and then pulled down
on the anchor platform. The anchor was stuck, something had to give...
It was the anchor platform. The wood broke just aft of the stainless
platform I had built in an attempt to "beef up" the whole anchoring
system. It is not ruined but it sure doesn't look right anymore. To
add insult to injury my anchor was stuck on coral. I tried to wiggle
around it with the boat but finally gave up. I grabbed the snorkel
gear. On the first attempt I couldn't get down deep enough but I did
notice that it looked like it was free. I climbed back on the boat and
tried to pull up the anchor, no luck. The second time I dove I was able
to free the anchor but I cam up with REALLY sore ears and a bloody nose.
I am sure I have shortened my life somehow.

I motored around looking for another place to anchor but was now a bit
gun shy, the bottom looked the same as what I just had problems in.

Time to re-evaluate... I decided to motor sail into the wind slowly and
catch a few winks, then head South so that I hit the banks at sun up
tomorrow.

This evening when I checked the oil I noticed I have a pretty good leak
coming from my raw water pump. About a drip per second. I still have
good water flow but it is something to keep a close eye on.

Tomorrow is a new day! Although they are starting to blend together
since I left Rum Cay yesterday morning around 5am.

Somebody count some sheep for me.

Until later.
Steve


--

This e-mail was delivered via satellite phone using GMN's
XGate software. Please be kind and keep your replies short.

No comments:

Post a Comment