Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Made it to the DR

Well I made it to the DR yesterday.

Over all it was a long but generally good trip from Georgetown, Bahamas.
The last 24 hours or so were tougher than the rest.

I was having trouble picking up the weather guru, Chris Parker, but I
was able to pull down some grib files before making my decision to cross
from the Turks & Caicos to the DR. It showed wind less than 15 from the
East. Not exactly correct. I had wind from the Southeast, the
direction I wanted to go, at 20-25 knots. The waves were larger than I
had experienced in a while, probably since my trip from Galveston the
Louisiana. They didn't have much rhythm to them either. So far on this
trip I have been able to get lots of "cat naps" of 20-30 minutes during
the night, not during this crossing.
Regardless, I made it safely. I decided to treat myself and am staying
in a marina. They have a waterpark and everything. I doubt I will go.
The marina made the check in process really simple, all the people I
needed to see are here at the marina. I was able to get fuel here as
well. I used 63 gallons since leaving Georgetown on the 25th, as you
can probably guess, I did a lot of motor sailing.

I slept for 12 hours straight last night, I guess I was tired.

I actually plugged in to shore power today(my AC still works!!), first
time since Venice LA. I think I heard my boat sigh. I figure I will
try to top everything off before heading out of here in a few days. I
think the boat will get a really good wash inside and out.
Need to change the oil in the engine and genset, take a look at the
water pump and do some other small maintenance projects.

Tammy, just wanted to let you know that your canvas covers are still on
the boat but I lost some snaps on this last crossing.

Take care.
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment