Monday, March 21, 2011

Been a while

Okay... It's been a while since my last post.

I was last at Little Farmers Cay. I am now on a mooring ball just off of Chat n Chill beach Stockton Island, across the harbor from George Town Bahamas. I have been pretty much in the same location for the past month.
I took in all of the festivities of the Cruisers Regatta here including sailing on my friends Lagoon 41 catamaran in both the "in harbor race and the "around the island race". We placed 3rd in the around the island race, however we placed first in the fishing contest and first in the baking contest. We placed second in the harbor race, lost by 8 seconds, corrected time. It was a very fun filled 10 days, the highlight was the sailboat racing.




I've started to jog again, a few times in and around George Town and several times on the sand trails and beaches on Stockton Island. I can tell how out of shape I am. They say that when you go cruising men generally drop a few pounds and woman gain a few. Generally this is based on the division of labor on a boat. Well, I do all of the labor, both "blue" and "pink" jobs and I have gained weight. I think since I have left I actually move less and eat/DRINK more than back on land. I have always believed that the key to shedding extra pounds is to move more and eat less, it might be time for me to practice what I preach?

I just got back from the States, had a great visit. Worked on my taxes, took care of my boat insurance, and figured out where I am going to keep my boat during the upcoming hurricane season. I would prefer to leave my boat on the hard someplace but I was not able to find a reasonably priced place that still has room. After much searching I have decided on Marina Pesacedria on the West coast of Puerto Rico. http://www.marinapescaderia.com/

I will probably remain in George Town for a few more days, need to top off Gas, Diesel, Water & pick up some food at the really good grocery stores here. They sure aren't Whole Foods or WalMart but they are the best I have seen since Nassau. After that, the next weather window will probably get me started in my march to Puerto Rico. I plan on following "The thornless path to windward" by Bruce Van Sant. Not many overnight passages & he has a very conservative approach to sailing in bad weather. Sounds good to me.


I would say that I promise to do a better job keeping up with the blog over the next few months but who are we kidding??? I would rather be doing than writing about it.

2 comments:

  1. You are killing me Steve. ;) Have a great passage to Puerto Rico.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you made it back to Georgetown - hopefully the return trip was better than the trip out!

    ReplyDelete