Sunday, January 9, 2011

Locked and Loaded


Looks like I will be heading to Marathon(Boot Key) tomorrow.  This will be my first trip as a single handed sailor.  Based on the trip so far I will probably motor the whole way.

Key West has been fun, stayed here longer than planned but my plans are pretty loose right now.  Key West is the kind of place that I can only take in small batches.  It is a tourist destination, plain and simple.  Everything is over priced and I feel like everybody is trying to get in my pocket.  There are tourist and locals and I fit somewhere between the two.

I am hoping that Boot Key offers more of a "cruiser" atmosphere.  They have shower and laundry facilities here but it is a 10 minute dinghy ride in and most people are not really social, all business.  Pretty strange coming from the social butterfly that I am.  Maybe I am the unsocial one?

Also of note...  my holding tank was supposed to be pumped on Wednesday, they told me I didn't need to be on the boat.  When I returned later in the day I stopped at Storyville, they said the pump out boat came but they had trouble getting at my cap for the holding tank.  Troy said my boards were in the way.  When I got back to the boat I realized they tried to pump out my fuel tank, thankfully they weren't successful and they don't back flush but come on.  The cap says fuel???  And it was under the extra diesel jugs I am carrying.  I finally got pumped out yesterday.

Anyway, time to run some errands and get the boat ready for tomorrow.  Look for some spot updates, I should be on the move.  If I don't leave... then plans changed a bit again, no worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment