Saturday, January 29, 2011

Catching up

Sent from my satphone...
I'm currently on a mooring ball at Shroud Cay.
The trip down from Nassau to Allen's Cay was uneventful with some good
sailing. I arrived at Allen's Cay on the 27th.
Allen's Cay is one of the first places most people that are new to
cruising the Exumas go. It has some prehistoric Iguanas that are pretty
cool. There are 1 or 2 tour boats that come in daily to feed the
iguanas so the are pretty tame. From what I can tell they don't care
too much for old spinach but they really like Ritz and Triscut crackers.
The anchorage itself is pretty close quarters, I think I counted close
to 15 boats. When I arrived Matt & Christie from Kaleo had already
anchored, Matt got a lift over to help me anchor, found a good spot,
drug a bit and then hooked up. We dropped my dinghy in the water,
checked the holding on it, checked Kaleo's anchor and then checked
Storyville's, all of them were buried in the sand. There is a really
strong current that runs through the anchorage. Around 9:30 that night
I found myself aground, the other boats around me were pivoting with the
current but I was stuck. I sat in the cockpit waiting for something to
happen, expecting the worst. Around 1:30 the tide came back in enough
to allow me to swing back in line with everybody else. I fell back
asleep but woke up around 4:30 freezing, yes it is cold at night.
Yesterday the 28th we decided to dinghy over to Highbourne Cay(Kaleo,
Storyville & myself). We packed a picnic lunch. It was a pretty rough
trip over, longer than I expected. We picked up some fuel for our
Dinghys, I think it was $5.13 a gallon, I hope I got super unleaded!!
The trip back was extremely wet, we were now going against the wind and
current. After we got back and settled in Kaleo had some crazy french
Canadian screaming at him and gesturing at their boat and mine. She was
hysterical, the gist of it was that she wanted us to move, stating that
our anchors were dragging. In reality our anchors were fine the current
was pushing us towards their boat. Neither Kaleo or I had a problem
moving but she was such a bitch about it. We both moved our boats to
less than ideal locations. There were now 20 boat in the anchorage.
Between the wind and the current my boat was swinging 270 degrees... No
Sleep.
I was more than ready to get out of Allen's Cay this morning. Had a
quick easy motorsail down here. Heard that Pipe Muy Bligh is nearby,
relayed through another boat where we are headed. Hopefully they will
show up here today.
Shroud Cay is gorgeous, ten feet of water, sandy bottom, the water is
beautiful, it is a postcard. I think it is time for a beer.
Until Later...
Steve




No comments:

Post a Comment