Sunday, January 16, 2011

Leaving for the Bahamas

Boot Key/Marathon City Marina is a great place to stay.  I only wish the weather had been nicer, its been very windy and "cold", a relative term.  I've been cold.


I've done lots and lots of provisioning, I have found it is hard to know what to get when you don't know what you need.  I have heard that beer is between $40-60 a case in the Bahamas, I've stocked up, doing my best to keep my sister employed at Miller for at least a bit longer, I think I have almost 10 cases on board(plus wine and rum).  I thought my boat was full when I left Key West, now I'm packed.  I can't even add a "wafer thin mint", the boat will burst.  The only thing I could not track down are 2 water jerry cans, West Marine is out and nobody else seems to carry them.  If I have time tomorrow I might just get 2 more gas cans and label them water.


I haven't cancelled my phone service but have reduced it to its minimum, I don't think it will work in the Bahamas so why pay for it. I also tried to give myself a haircut yesterday and then a touch up today and I still have some "issues".  According to Troy and Deana I have missed a few spots.  I meant to get a hand held mirror today but forgot, oh well.


I have a Fedex package coming tomorrow but the office is closed, I called Fedex and they said I could wait for the driver and he might give it to me.  The office said Fedex usually comes between 10 and noon so I plan on hanging out there and see if they show up.  If I miss it the office signs for all of the packages when they come in and then they sit in a closet until somebody picks them up.  So I can either contact the office after it has arrived and pay them to ship it on or contact the person that sent the package and have them go back to the place they shipped it from and have it rerouted, this however has to be done before the package is signed for.
I haven't even left the country and am having mail/shipping problems.


The weather window I have been watching for a week looks like it is going to hold through Friday afternoon or evening.  It should give me plenty of time to get to Nassau.
Here is the plan to get there.

Leave here either Monday or Tuesday afternoon, I will know which day after the wether report tomorrow morning.  Either departure day will take me on the same route.
For planning purposes lets assume I leave on Monday,
Leave in the afternoon, head for South riding Rock(24 43.02N  79 10.47W).  Should arrive a bit after daybreak on Tuesday.
Throw out an anchor and sleep during the day.
That afternoon or early evening depart and head for the "Northwest Passage"
25 28.03N 78 26.64W then
25 29.48N 78 13.19W then towards the Northwest passage
25 27.55N 78 09.24W
I should arrive at the NW Passage a bit after daybreak on Wednesday.
From here I have options...
either to 
a marina in Chub Cay and check in(about 2-3 hours after the NW Passage)
or 
Anchor at Frazers Hog Cay(3-4 hours after NW Passage, no check in here).
From either of these places on Thursday morning I am planning on heading down to Nassau.  I believe another boat from Kemah is there that myself and Storyville would like to meet up with, "Pipe muh Bligh".  We would check in at Nassau. 
All of this is written in sand, depending on my sleep or lack of I might change things up a bit. Two constants will be to enter the Bahama banks during daylight(South Riding Rock) and to get to the NW Passage at or shortly after daybreak.

Watch the Spot.

Right now I am going to read for a bit and get some sleep while I can.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck..hope you have a safe and uneventful passage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good sailing steve take care

    Howard

    ReplyDelete