Sunday, May 8, 2011

St. John, USVI


We've been here 2 weeks & now the vacation part can begin!!  Steve has been a patient, supportive Captain as I've been trying to keep my current stateside boss happy as well as stoke the potential for my own business down here in the islands.  We finally have a day to be nothin' but lazy.  It's been so nice to be back on the island that I called home 15 years ago & to see my great pals from back then, Mean Jean, Cid & Mary Pat!  MP is originally from Kentucky & started the Kentucky Derby celebration at my very favorite bar/grill, Skinny Leg's, 30-odd years ago.  All the crusty pirates & hippie locals don some kind of hat & fill 'em with the bougainvilleas, hibiscus & other flora that is found all over down here.  One lady even glued a plastic horse to the top of her hat.  Below is Steve joining in the tradition.  I'm happy to say that all of my ol' pals are now big fans of Steve.

We'll most likely leave the US waters in a bit & head for Jost Van Dyke for a day or 2.  It is blissful to not know where we will head after that - I relinquish my need to have a plan, hard as that may be to believe.  I've only got a week left to soak up the Caribbean - will have to make my tan last until December when we'll come back.  We're seriously looking at some charter boats/businesses, dreaming that we'll offer week long charters to 2-3 couples or a family here in the USVI/BVI.  We looked at a beautiful 45' cat yesterday & spent a few hours with the owners.  Fingers are crossed that something will work out!!  Might be another year or so before it comes to fruition, but the dream lives on.  

In the meantime, if any of y'all cruisers happen to pass through the USVI, I highly recommend St John as a place to land for a few days.  There are tons of moorings in Francis Bay and a very gentle swell much unlike our previous spot, roly-poly Hull Bay.  Right up the big staircase from the beach in the middle is the little store at Maho Bay Campgrounds that I used to run & found my natural foods calling (they don't have much in the way of natural foods anymore & I mean to fix that!).  They also have a shuttle to town if you need & a very decent restaurant.  The beaches here are pristine, as it's all smack dab in the middle of the National Park that covers most of St. John.  Good trails to hike, the Annaburg plantation ruins just up the road to visit & quiet, quiet, quiet!!  The east end of the island is where you can find Coral Bay, a very cool little sleepy village that is home to Skinny Leg's, an awesome bar & grill with yummy cheeseburgers & local beer.  Their motto is "same day service" and the dress code only requires 2 teeth.  Nice folks all over the place!!

We're sending out a big round of hugs for all y'all!






1 comment:

  1. Great post Deb. Love Steve's KD hat.

    Huggs to you both.

    Deana

    ReplyDelete